Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What I am reading...

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink


This was a quick read for me. I love to read anything to do with World War II or the Holocaust. It was a thought provoking book, if you let it - although it could easily be read for the story and then move on. I enjoyed the story, and understanding how this young man grew up, his thoughts and feelings, I thought he was able to really explain his feelings at the time, and also give me an understanding of how his prospective changed as he got older. It is a new idea to me, looking back and reviewing my life threw the eyes I have today.
I have heard the movie has a lot of nakedness....but the book was definitely not R - maybe PG13 - hard to say with the way they rate movies these days.

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama -



I have to admit that this is a slow read for me. I have read several other books since I started this. However I find passages that really hit home to me. If you consider that it was published in 2006 and likely written before that, it really amazes me what he saw happening.

So I am on page...148 in chapter titled Opportunity

through out the pages before hand his is talking about the tax cuts, reduction of regulation and so on that Pres. Bush initiated . He talks about how the "consequence of doing nothing and letting globalization run its course won't result in the imminent collapse of the U.S. economy." Then he says "But over the long ten, doing nothing probably means an America very different from the one most of us grew up in. It will mean a nation even more stratified economically and socially then it is." (meaning the rich get richer and everyone else gets poorer)

Wow - it makes me hopeful that now that he is in office things can start on a different path and get better. It also gives me a great deal of confidence in the man elected - This is just one of the many passages I have read that tells me - he knew what type of future we were headed for, and he wanted to change it for the better.

What have you read lately?

1 comment:

  1. I am just about to read the Audacity of Hope. I am also reading the Audacity of Deceit to see both sides. Maybe we both could read both and discuss.

    ReplyDelete